Course 1: Advanced Certificate Course in Gene Technology (80 hours)
Introduction to Gene Technology
Basic unit of life, transfer of genetic material, DNA, genomic DNA, the gene, allele, genotype, phenotype, different types of genes, RNA, information flow, applications of molecular biology and gene technology, structure, chemistry and physical properties of nucleotides, organization of DNA in the cell.
Gene Expression and Proteins
Central dogma of life, gene expression, genetic code, degeneracy of the genetic code, amino acids, reading frame, mutations, DNA repair, DNA replication, transcription of DNA, translation of RNA, proteins and proteomics, transcriptional regulation.
Recombinant DNA Technology
Tools in DNA Analysis
Extracting DNA from different sources: introduction to DNA extraction, steps in extraction, extracting DNA from forensic evidentiary samples.
Forensic DNA typing: DNA typing, DNA based human identification, identification of biological evidence, paternity testing, etc.
Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
Gel electrophoresis and Spectrophotometry
Micro RNA and Cancer Detection
Development of transgenic animals and plants
The Human Genome Project
Current Applications and Ethical Aspects of Gene Technology
(Hands-on practical experience on an individual basis for each student)
• Laboratory safety
• Preparation of molecular biology solutions and accessories
• Extraction of genomic DNA, quantification, and assessment of the quality of DNA
• Culture and transformation of E.coli
• Isolation of plasmid DNA from E. coli
• Preparation of agarose and polyacrylamide gels
• Analysis of native and restricted plasmid and genomic DNA by agarose gel electrophoresis
• Analysis of PCR products using polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis
• DNA typing of simulated crime scene sample
• Southern transfer and hybridization of DNA
• DNA library screening and hybridization
• Standard PCR assay
• Multiplex PCR
• RT-PCR assay for viral DNA detection
• Primer designing with software
• DNA sequence data analysis
• Genetic database searching